Sunday, October 16, 2011

Community Church/Church of the Nazarene

The next contestant was a Community Church in the area.  After some questions about affiliation I found that they were Church of the Nazarene.  Since I had never actually heard of this church, I googled some info and I would go.

I realized that this church was going to be a little out of my comfort zone when a friend said, "No need to dress up. Most people wear jeans."  I believe my response was something like, "ummm....yeah...I cant do that." 

As I mentioned, I grew up in a traditional, more conservative church.  That being said, some people occasionally wear jeans to my home church.  The Callen's are not those people!!  Once, while in High School, my sister drove herself to church and showed up in Adidas sandals.  We will just say, that move didn't go over too well.  She has since learned that you shouldn't mess with my parents on the church attire!

I have to admit that I was very nervous once I pulled up and the parking attended motioned me to the right.  As I walked, one of the pastors was holding the door open.  She could tell right away that I was new (wonder if it was my deer in headlights expression?) and she welcomed me to the church.  She then directed me to the donut table...I liked this place!  Once inside I perused around the book store and coffee shop before heading into the service.

There was a huge stage and two giant projection screens.  We sang for awhile, the band played and we prayed.  It was almost like a concert.  The woman who greeted me at the door was leading the songs and worship.  After about 20 minutes, her husband came on stage to do the sermon which I thoroughly enjoyed.

However, even though I enjoyed the message, I didn't feel like I had gone to 'church.'  My friend said that it took her a little time to get used to so I thought I would go again.  But, when she was out of town the next week, I learned the sermon could be found on a podcast.  A podcast that I could listen to on my computer, in my pajamas at home.  That saved all the hassle of actually getting dressed and driving to church! 

After awhile, things came up and I stopped listening to the podcast and the experience fizzled out.  It just wasn't meant to be. 

On to the next experience...
       

No comments:

Post a Comment